* FTC Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed by contributors of the product
reviews are their own and not necessarily those of Netrition.com. These reviews should not be taken as
recommendations but rather customer opinions of the products that they may or may not have used. Furthermore,
Netrition.com makes no warranty or representation, expressed or implied, as to the accuracy or sufficiency of
the information contributed by outside sources, and assumes no responsibility or liability regarding the use
of such information. Netrition.com does not warrant the performance, effectiveness or applicability of any
materials listed or linked to on Netrition.com.
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
5/5July 28, 2008
Reviewer: John in Massachusetts
* Inexpensive. Not too sweet. Easy to digest fast. Great for a post-workout drink (about 25g of it) along with protein, 5g of creatine and 5g of l-glutamate. Really cuts the bitter taste of these things.
* This is a great, inexpensive way to buy pure dextrose. I toss this in with most of my protein shakes (not bedtime shake though). It adds sweetness and energy and mixes really well. I also add some maltodextrin in with it, but that doesn't add much sweetness. I like the 2 lb. packs because it takes me a couple months to go through one.
* Dextrose is a simple sugar derived from corn instead of sugar cane and accordingly is less sweet. It can be used as a 1 to 1 replacement for cane sugar. As a chocolatier, I use this product in preparing candies - it is very fine and dissolves into solution quickly - this means there is no sugar "grit" to impair the mouth feel of fine chocolates. I Highly recommend product for candy making.
* We get plenty of sugar in our diets, but what about after a hard muscle building workout? Most people forget the triad for muscle growth: good workout, nutrition, and rest. I rank nutrition and rest on top. Now Dextrose goes into my post-workout drink to help my muscles re-fuel. They thank me for it.
* Dextrose is great post-workout carbohydrate and with this item you get it in its raw form without anything added. It is a great value too. I use it because it helps you get the carbs and protein into your system during the "window of opportunity" time after your workout. I've been using it for years along with Maltodextrin (NOW Carbo Gain)and Whey Protein Isolate (NOW brand as well due to price) to make my own custom post-workout drink rather than spending big money on a brand name pre-made formula. Having the ingredients separate lets you also customize the amounts you put in according to what type of diet your on, your weight, whether you are cutting, or whether you are bulking. You can add other ingredients if you choose like creatine, and you can also make your a carbohydrate only drink which is much cheaper than Gatorade. You can add Kool-aid sweetened with Splenda for flavor.