* FTC Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed by contributors of the product
reviews are their own and not necessarily those of Netrition.com. These reviews should not be taken as
recommendations but rather customer opinions of the products that they may or may not have used. Furthermore,
Netrition.com makes no warranty or representation, expressed or implied, as to the accuracy or sufficiency of
the information contributed by outside sources, and assumes no responsibility or liability regarding the use
of such information. Netrition.com does not warrant the performance, effectiveness or applicability of any
materials listed or linked to on Netrition.com.
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
4/5October 02, 2006
Reviewer: Stefanie in Ohio
* These are delicious and they make a wonderful low-carb chili! Even my picky teenager eats them!
* These are a great option for low-carb dieters and diabetics who miss eating beans. However, they do have a harder, almost crumbly texture compared to other canned beans, so they take more cooking to become tender. This is why I gave them a 4 rather than a 5.
Their texture is not a big deal for chili or soups, especially if you add them early so they have plenty of time to cook. Also, since they are not starchy, you can't rely on them to help thicken your sauce. You'll have to cook it down more or use some Thick'n'Thin.
But if you want to make re fried beans or a dip, plan on cooking them a long time before trying to mash them. If you don't cook them long enough, they won't mash well by hand. (Maybe you could use a blender or food processor for this...I haven't tried that, since I usually want a semi-chunky texture.)
As others have noted, they also are a little bland straight out of the can, and take more seasoning than other canned beans. But so far I've been able to get them to taste good in every recipe I've tried.
* I made baked beans with these. I added sweet and low brown sugar (1 teaspoon), onion flakes, a slice of bacon on top and low carb ketchup on the bacon. Baked it for 45 minutes and was thoroughly pleased with the results. Did not thicken up but was tasty and very low carb. This is a buy again product.
* A great option for low carbers. I came close to giving it a 5, but, in truth, it's not quite as good as kidney beans on my tostada, but it's close. Good enough I've made the switch & would recommend it to others!