* FTC Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed by contributors of the product
reviews are their own and not necessarily those of Netrition.com. These reviews should not be taken as
recommendations but rather customer opinions of the products that they may or may not have used. Furthermore,
Netrition.com makes no warranty or representation, expressed or implied, as to the accuracy or sufficiency of
the information contributed by outside sources, and assumes no responsibility or liability regarding the use
of such information. Netrition.com does not warrant the performance, effectiveness or applicability of any
materials listed or linked to on Netrition.com.
3 of 3 people found the following review helpful
5/5February 24, 2009
Reviewer: Tarolyn in Washington
* I taste a bitter aftertaste on sweeteners that others swear there is no aftertaste, so I'm very picky.
I tried Truvia this week on my low carb hot cereal. The truvia sprinkled on top even formed a slight crust like sugar.
I've been using Splenda and find it looses flavor in baked goods. It also has 24g carbs in 1 cup! It's good to know there's an alternative that tastes great!
* I am halfway through my box of 80 Truvia packets and am delighted with it. It have used Erythritol and also Stevia by themselves, but this combination is exactly right. It tastes just like sugar to me, some AS are just too sweet - this is perfect. It has absolutely no affect on my blood sugar, no laxative problems and does not stall my weight loss.
* This is the best-tasting alternative sweetener I have tasted. You can literally dip strawberries in it as advertised. It is far superior to stevia and leaves no aftertaste like all of the artificial sweeteners. The only problem is that if you use too much of it, it can cause abdominal bloating and diarrhea from the non-absorbable sugar alcohol.
* This product has the consistency of sugar and tastes as pleasant without any bitterness or aftertaste. It is not as sweet as other artificial sweeteners, which means that although it states that one packet has the sweetness of two teaspoons of sugar, I found that it is more or less equal to one teaspoon of sugar. Other than that, this product is wonderful! Zero carbs and zero calories! The erythritol produces a slight "cooling" effect that is well-balanced by the stevia. This is a great sugar substitute that I feel will quickly replace Splenda in many non-caloric foods.
* I buy it in the biggest container available, wish they'd sell it in bulk. It has a cotton-candy smell, which actually comes through in coffee if you use too much, so my husband mixes it 1/2 and 1/2 with liquid sucralose (EZ-Sweetz). Wish they'd tell us what the "natural flavors" are in the ingredients, or at the very least tell us what they are NOT (msg?, nitrites?, sulfites?) - 4 stars because of this. I use it extensively in baking, as part of a minimum 3 product blend. Neither my husband nor I notice any bitter aftertaste. I like that it's concentrated, whereas other erythritol/stevia products are not, so with Truvia you get more bang for your buck.