* FTC Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed by contributors of the product
reviews are their own and not necessarily those of Netrition.com. These reviews should not be taken as
recommendations but rather customer opinions of the products that they may or may not have used. Furthermore,
Netrition.com makes no warranty or representation, expressed or implied, as to the accuracy or sufficiency of
the information contributed by outside sources, and assumes no responsibility or liability regarding the use
of such information. Netrition.com does not warrant the performance, effectiveness or applicability of any
materials listed or linked to on Netrition.com.
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
4/5January 09, 2015
Reviewer: Melanie in Oregon
* I've tried nearly every brand of sweetener out there, including the less natural ones. Now, I use erythritol and stevia almost exclusively after a few years of experimenting. After testing many brands of erythritol, I've come to truly love Swerve. It doesn't affect my blood sugar, it has the best taste and the least cooling effect, it hasn't caused stomach or digestion issues common to sugar alcohols, and it works in just about everything I make. My only issue is the price. Swerve is more of a luxury for me and often, I have to return to other brands of erythritol because they are just more affordable. All in all, it's an excellent, great tasting product and it makes life so much easier for those watching their blood sugar, but I look forward to the day when the price comes down a bit. In the meantime, watch for sales!
* Swerve is good stuff. I started using it about 3 months ago and have been very satisfied - and I've used it in many different types of foods. I especially like it in baked goods since it seems to give a nice brown-ness like I would expect with use of sugar, but obviously without the hit to my blood sugar.
The only reason I rate it a 4 rather than a 5 is purely due to cost. Hopefully the price will decrease.
* I've been using this for a week in my coffee & tea. Less sweet than Splenda ( but, what isn't??) , fairly dense, dissolves well, and a very slight "artificial" sweetener aftertaste. Probably won't reorder because of the price-- will stick w/ xylitol or stevia products that Netrition offers.
* I definitely think Swerve is one of a kind. I baked sugar cookies with icing and the pros and cons were:
First sugar alcohol I have tried with no gassy after effects! What a relief!
Not quite as sweet a sugar - great when you want to create less cravings for the sweet stuff over time.
The telltale cooling affect on the tongue goes away after baking. (You can taste it in the dough prior and the frosting a bit).
The confectioner's type is very fine and does create a dust cloud.
I used regular sprinkles and sugars to decorate to bring the sweetness up just a touch and for the kids to have fun. So they were almost sugar-free sugar cookies!