* FTC Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed by contributors of the product
reviews are their own and not necessarily those of Netrition.com. These reviews should not be taken as
recommendations but rather customer opinions of the products that they may or may not have used. Furthermore,
Netrition.com makes no warranty or representation, expressed or implied, as to the accuracy or sufficiency of
the information contributed by outside sources, and assumes no responsibility or liability regarding the use
of such information. Netrition.com does not warrant the performance, effectiveness or applicability of any
materials listed or linked to on Netrition.com.
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
5/5February 21, 2012
Reviewer: Deborah in Minnesota
* I have been looking for a substitute for Hot Cocoa and this is it. I heat up whole milk instead of water and the result is a rich, creamy cup of cocoa just like my Mom used to make. Excellent!
* I was nervous about ordering this item due to the price, small size, and a couple of poor reviews, but risked it due to winter being fully upon us low-carbers too!
However, do not fear! I was not at all disappointed by this cocoa mix, and in fact very impressed.
I mixed 3 heaping tablespoons (about 1" deep in the bottom of a regular coffee mug) and poured about 1/4 cup of heavy cream in to make a paste like one would with traditional (swiss miss, nestle) packets of hot cocoa mix to keep the clumping to a minimum. Boiled some water in my electric kettle, poured it in, and stirred vigorously.
To my pleasure, I found the powder gave off a fantastic milk chocolate aroma and mixed without a single clump, right down to the bottom of my mug, without any extra mixing or stirring afterwards.
Flavor-wise, I found it very much like traditional milk chocolate hot cocoa mixes, and actually much richer (granted I used some heavy cream too) and more potent, with good chocolate and milky sweetness. I feel like you could make a cup with half the reccomended serving and still get enough cocoa flavor.
It does have a slight aftertaste, mainly of mild orange peel (see ingredients list!) but I found this both minimal and pleasant, and it didn't stay on my tongue long.
Since I've been making low carb hot cocoa the hard way (heavy cream, unsweetened cocoa powder, vanilla liquid stevia, make a paste, add hemp or almond milk, microwave, stir, etc.) lately, this mix was a great treat after a workout. Just add the hot water; even better than the sugar-laden packets of my childhood.
* Love the great chocolate taste. Just as good as supermarket sugar free products, and they usually still are too high in carbs to enjoy. Love a hot cup while I watch TV at night, which helps to satisfy my urge to munch at night.
* I ordered this product with high hopes. I love a warm cup of hot cocoa on cold nights but have recently tried to cut my sugar out. So when I found this product I had to have it. I just recieved my package and made a cup of hot chocolate I find it undrinkably gross. It doesnt have any chocolate flavor, maybe it was my high hopes but I would not spend money on this product again.