* FTC Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed by contributors of the product
reviews are their own and not necessarily those of Netrition.com. These reviews should not be taken as
recommendations but rather customer opinions of the products that they may or may not have used. Furthermore,
Netrition.com makes no warranty or representation, expressed or implied, as to the accuracy or sufficiency of
the information contributed by outside sources, and assumes no responsibility or liability regarding the use
of such information. Netrition.com does not warrant the performance, effectiveness or applicability of any
materials listed or linked to on Netrition.com.
5/5February 01, 2017
Reviewer: Kim in California
* As a vegetarian, I am always looking for ways to up my protein. I have been using Dixie "Not!" meatless products for years. They store well for a long time, added to soups, stews and other meals take on the flavors they cook in and ad a big punch of protein to any meal. Sometimes I just want a bowl of home made chicken soup... Dixie Chicken Not! really brings it home, onions, carrots and other veggies in a chickenless broth.... yum!
* This is an excellent product. It works best when used to stretch a recipe that includes some (real) chicken or pork. It then picks up all the flavors in the dish. I have used it for stir-fry, Tex Mex and Italian dishes. I like the bigger pieces in this product as I have found the more granulated products available elsewhere to be unappetizing.
To get 225 grams of high quality protein for under five bucks is a really great deal.
* This is a great product. I like that it's dehydrated, so it can be stored much longer than most meat substitutes. I season the water (with whatever spices will compliment the sauce I plan to use in the dish) when I make it though, to add flavor. Otherwise, its rather bland. The texture is pretty good; better when made on the stove than the microwave, but good in either case.
I haven't eaten meat in years and Chicken Not! makes it simple for me to convert recipes to vegan. I haven't tried it in any soups or stews yet, but it works great for barbecue, stir-fry, street tacos, and pasta dishes.
* I would have given this product a 4 or even five stars had I known what I was getting (totally unflavored product) and evaluated it based on those factors. As it was, I was mistakenly assuming that this TVP had a semblance of chicken taste, based on its name and the fact that nothing in the description indicates it is an UNFLAVORED product. Quite disappointed in that aspect of it however, I was very impressed with the texture of this stuff upon cooking and, after adding in a serving of Mckay's vegan chicken soup seasoning, this product was great and I would purchase again now that I know what it is!
* This was not a happy experience. When rehydrated according to the package directions Chicken Not was soggy, chewy and tasteless with a texture like a latex sponge. The only positive: it looks like chicken, which would be acceptable in the event you only want to stare at your soup but not actually eat it. That being said, as a senior citizen with mobility issues I'm a big fan of TVP products and think they're fabulous additions to a pantry, especially for those times when I want a protein boost in a recipe but don't have any fresh chicken or beef on hand. I've tried other chicken replacement products that were far superior to Chicken Not.