* FTC Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed by contributors of the product
reviews are their own and not necessarily those of Netrition.com. These reviews should not be taken as
recommendations but rather customer opinions of the products that they may or may not have used. Furthermore,
Netrition.com makes no warranty or representation, expressed or implied, as to the accuracy or sufficiency of
the information contributed by outside sources, and assumes no responsibility or liability regarding the use
of such information. Netrition.com does not warrant the performance, effectiveness or applicability of any
materials listed or linked to on Netrition.com.
5 of 5 people found the following review helpful
3/5May 07, 2014
Reviewer: Jeanne in Virginia
* Let me say that I can't eat other low carb flour. I just can't stomach the taste. That said, this has some of the same flavors, just not as concentrated. It doesn't smell nearly as bad (I tested them side by side). I made muffins, but didn't end up eating them because the off flavor just didn't make it worthwhile (although lemon extract covers it pretty well). Texture is very good though. I was going to throw this away too, but then a wonderful thing happened - I tried an apple spice cake and it turned out great. So it depends on your palate. I can only use this in highly flavored baked items.
* Love this stuff. I've made bread, cinnamon rolls, and a ton of other stuff. No nasty aftertaste, no grainy-ness, just lots of YUM. It's easy to work with - my teenager made her first loaf of bread EVER with it, and it was fabulous.
* I had been using another low carb flour but could not get past the bad aftertaste. Also bread dough was very hard to work with and I could not find a decent recipe for regular bread. Then I tried the Dixie Carb Counters All Purpose Low Carb Flour. This is a winner. I made bread first off and the dough was extremely easy to work with, the bread was very soft and did not fall as soon as I took it out of the oven as with the other low carb flour. I loved the taste (no aftertaste). The only objection I have is the price. It is waaaaay over priced. Bring the price down to match that of the other low carb flour sold by Netrition and I will buy it regularly. $10.00 a pound is way to much to pay for any kind of flour, much as I like it, I just cannot afford it.
This review is specific to Carb Counters All Purpose Low Carb Flour
* This is the closest thing to a neutral-tasting flour I have found or tried mixing up myself. It doesn't have a sourey aftertaste or a strange odor ( like Carbquick or carbalose pre-made flour mixes) so biscuits and muffins don't need to be dolled up with other flavors, like blueberries or herbs and spices, to taste good. It can carry good butter all by itself!
It is expensive, so I usually mix ~ 2 parts Dixie flour + 1 part almond flour/ meal + 1 part flax flour/meal; or I use it in equal parts. Add 2 eggs, baking powder, and a little pinch of salt and voila! A plain little bread you can use for sweet or savory.
The texture holds together nicely, so a pb&j sandwich isn't all crumbs. It browns nice too, even with no sugar or added fat, like butter or oil, so it looks appetizing right out of the oven.